Lifeguard Certification Classes
The Shawnee Family YMCA lifeguard training course that includes CPR (BLS: Basic Life Support) and First Aid, equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention and decision-making skills.
Participants must be 16 years old by the end of the class. Online prework, attendance, full participation, successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
If you’re interested in working as a lifeguard for the YMCA, training may be available at no cost to you. Contact our branch aquatics directors for additional information.
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
The Lifeguard Certification Class includes the YMCA lifeguard certification, Basic Life Support, Basic First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen.